July 2001 - Finishing Mechanical Restoration
|The easy stuff is really what's left to start driving.
I did some traveling in California, and I'll cover
that in the next few weeks. Lots of photos to go through, and some help
from one of the 2002 world's best resources. The
wife bought me a new digital camera for my birthday, a Fuji
Finepix 4700, so getting more pictures onto the site in less time will
be a snap.
|Does your car have these rubber pieces
installed? Somewhere along the line, the rubber that keeps the air
going straight into the passenger compartment was gone. I've not seen a
pair of these survive 26+ years without being totally petrified. I was
able to secure a new set of the under hood rubber seals for $70 and
noticed immediately that there was more cool air coming in. However, it's
July and in the Midwest, any air coming this time of year is completely
|Breaking out the Wurth wheel paint...
I have been driving the car with these MSW wheels since St.
Patricks day in Gold. Ok, I know...that Gold wheel thing begins to wear on
you. Since I'm planning on keeping these wheels and tires for a while
until the rubber on my E30 wears down significantly and I transplant it's
BBS wheels to the 02, I decided to somewhat tidy up the place. If you've
seen the ads for Wurth wheel paint but not seen it at work, here's the
evidence. I also added the BMW Roundels to the center caps (part #
36131181082) to finish off the project. What do you think? The Wurth paint
is $20 a can, but it looks great and with the coat of clear over it, they
look as good as new.
|The trunk opened up fine but I could not
lock it... I was able to
transplant another trunk lock with a key to the car but not without some
pain. Don't make this mistake yourself... I thought I had the lock working
right but when I closed the trunk, no action... YIKES!!!! after much
deliberation, I finally broke into the trunk by destroying the right rear
tail light (I had a new one waiting in the box, so it wasn't too painful)
and reaching inside with a socket wrench and unscrewing the trunk lid
latch. Once I had that done, I figured it was time to clean up the whole
think and do it right. Hence, it's looking like it should... and it locks!
|That old red bumper had to go...
In the process of removing it I decided to take some photos
of what I did to clean up the mold that was growing under the bumper and
how I re-attached the bumper. There's a how-to-do that I'm working on that
covers the reassembly of the side covers and the covers that go over the
bumper shocks. Man was it dirty under there (and of course,
"rusty" to the max).